Are you planning a trip to Athens but tired of the usual touristy spots? Why not step off the beaten path and discover some hidden gems that the locals love? From charming neighborhoods to lesser-known attractions, Athens has plenty of surprises in store. Here’s your guide to visiting hidden gems and experiencing Athens like a local by staying at best Athens Hotels.
Explore the Neighborhoods
One of the best ways to experience Athens like a local is to explore its various neighborhoods. Start with Plaka, a picturesque district that dates back to ancient times. This pedestrian-friendly area is lined with traditional tavernas, quaint shops, and historic buildings. For a more bohemian vibe, head to Exarchia, a hipster hotspot with street art, alternative music venues, and plenty of cafes.
Discover Secret Gardens
- Escape the hustle and bustle of the city by visiting some of Athens’ secret gardens.
- The National Garden, located near Syntagma Square, is a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city.
- It features ponds, fountains, and a small zoo.
- For a more secluded spot, head to the Anafiotika neighborhood and follow the narrow alleys to find the hidden gardens that dot the hillside.
Visit Lesser-Known Museums
The Acropolis Museum is a must-see, but visitors typically neglect other museums. For instance, the Museum of Cycladic Art has a large collection of Aegean antiquities. In a neoclassical villa, the Benaki Museum showcases Greek history and culture. Greece’s military history is intriguing at Kallithea’s War Museum.
Eat Like a Local
- No trip to Athens is complete without sampling the city’s delicious cuisine.
- While you can’t go wrong with the classic souvlaki or moussaka, there are plenty of lesser-known dishes to try as well.
- Head to the Central Market to try local specialties.
- For a unique dining experience, book a table at a rembetika taverna, where you can enjoy live music and traditional Greek food.
Experience the Nightlife
In Athens, which is known for its vibrant nightlife, there are numerous locations where residents can go to party. Begin by visiting the fashionable Gazi neighbourhood, which is home to many restaurants and parties. For a more laidback atmosphere, head to Psiri, a fashionable neighbourhood with numerous rooftop clubs and cafés. Explore the best hotels in Athens to decompress and calm after a long day of exploring the city’s wonders for a genuinely unforgettable experience.
You now have your guidance to discovering hidden sites and having a native experience in Athens. There is so much to see and do in this beautiful city that you will never run out of things to learn about.